Roccella Valdemone History
||1/3/2015 9:23 AM
||1/3/2015 9:34 AM
The village derives its name from medieval LatinRoccella "small cliff". The addition is originated from one of three administral districts in which Arabs devided Sicily: it is Vallo di Demena from Latin "Vallum" later changed into Valdemone.
The village rose under the Normans and was given in 1296 by Federick II of Aragon to Damiano Spadafora with the title of barony and soon after it became a marquisate. The village has belonged to this family for long time.
The most interesting monuments are the ruins of the Medieval Castle, the Cathedral Church with a valuable marble ancon representing the Nativity and theChurch of St. Maria dell'Udienza.
Roccella Valdemone as it Looks Today